Minneapolis half Marathon Race report!

Good afternoon blogosphere!

So yesterday was my first half marathon- and it rocked.  The weekend started out with family arriving from Arizona on Friday afternoon.  So we went out for ice cream at the Edina creamery.  Jeff really enjoyed his blueberry cheese cake cone...

Saturday morning I got up and made my world famous pancakes, bacon and hashbrowns breakfast...super yummy.

Then it was time for packet pickup!!

The line was long and it was hot...

But once inside..the energy hit me!


The expo!  It wasn't as big as I had expected, but it was still really fun to learn about other races, try on the Du bike jersey for this year, and shop a bit.


Me and my bib!  It hit me at that moment that this was about to happen.  All of my training...all of the blisters, and sore muscles...and this was it!!

Aww the race series medals....so pretty all together.  I can't wait to get mine all together!!



 After packet pick up it was time for Pizza at Pizza Luce' with some of my team mates...this place has the BEST pizza in the cities.  I am tellin you...sooo good.



Then it was time to get the race gear all ready..bib and chip...Check!


Team in Training puts on a Inspiration Dinner (PASTA PARTY!) the night before the events, and since my parents were up, I took my Mom, since she is the ultimate inspiration.  As a 4 time cancer survivor- there is no greater inspiration.

 My Walking Coach- Kristine and my Mom- two of the coolest survivors I know!!

 Me and the run Coach Val- amazing woman- I am not sure I would have gotten through training without her!



 So after a stressful evening, and very little sleep- I was up at 3am, and ready to go.  Got glided, and dressed.  Ate breakfast on my kitchen floor, since every inch of my living room was covered in people who came to visit!  I was out the door way earlier than I wanted to be...but my nerves were high so I wanted to be early.  Arrived at the parking ramp at about 4:15 am and waited to get in to park...I sunscreened, hydrated and tried to relax.  At 5:30 I hoofed it over to the TNT tent in the race village.



Checked in, got a fun new mission ribbon to pin on my jersey, took a team picture- and of course the team cheer- which by the way- sounded SO AMAZING echoing off the skyscrapers and the pavillion.

Then walked to the start line to line up.  By this time, I was so excited to go...I was just jumping around, and full of nervous energy.  I know next time to RELAX, and breath.  And to save all of that energy for the race.

I crossed the start line at 7:03 am.  I didn't have my walking buddy JDub with me from training.  She was in San Diego doing her Rock & Roll event (she finished in 3:59!).  But I was ok with walking alone for the most part.  I had my tunes, and was ready to just take it all in.  I thought I should have hit the potty one more time before we set out, but I figured I'd be ok, and that it was just nerves. About 10 minutes in, I really had to pee...but the first potties weren't until after the 1 mile...so I had to hold it for 10 more minutes.  The way the course was set up was goofy- we got to see some of the ELITE runners hitting the 5 mile mark right after we crossed the 1 mile...holy cow they are fast.  So I spotted the potty and had to fight the relay people (whose events had not yet started) for the potty.  As I walked out I saw my team mate and cancer survivor Lauri walking, I didn't want her to walk alone, and I could see she was hurting...so I went back and walked her to the 2.5 mile TNT cheer station.  Then I had to jet- I was very behind in my pace.  So I ran across the Plmouth Ave bridge to the 3 mile mark, hoping to make up some time.  I have never run 1/2 mile without stopping, but I was so full of adreneline that I just kept going.  I walked for another 1/4 mile and then ran again for about a 1/4 of a mile.  Once I got to main street the running not going to happen- I had never trained to run on cobblestone- and was not going to start on race day.  A mile of cobblestone later I was at the Stone arch bridge...the view of the city was amazing...


I missed the 4 mile flag, and was freaking out, because it was already well after 8:30am and I should be at mile 6...in the distance I could see a mile marker flag, and I prayed that it was 5.  Thank goodness it was.  But here is where I get cranky...and have to rag on the race organizers a bit.  They did not do a great job of keeping the course clear of spectators.  See those people on the bridge- they are not in the race and were all in my way as I tried to run.  As I rounded the corner off the bridge- I had no idea where the course went.  No staff, no marker, no arrows...I had been pacing a group of walkers in aqua shirts...but they were lost- in the crowd of spectators that had taken over the course.  The course had us cross the finishline backwards just after mile 5- but the finishline was consumed with finishers, staff, and spectators.  I could not pass.  So I ran over to the bike path to the left of the course and jumped up and down in front of a very unhelpful volunteer who wasted about 5 minutes of my time telling me she didn't want to waste my time by pulling out a map when I asked her if I was going the right way...I finally flagged down a finisher and asked him...thankfully he had his head out of his butt and told me yes.  Down the bike path I sprinted yelling to the people to MOVE!  RUNNER COMING THROUGH!  For about a 1/4 of a mile I was not even on the course.  Finally I got back on the course and pushed through to mile 6.  I was off pace again.  But after a few minutes of walking I ran again...down a hill.  I decided then to run down the hills and not fight gravity, besides it would make the hills go by faster!!  Then the back spasms started.  They lasted the rest of the race, and took the wind right out of me at some points.  But I smiled for the camara despite the pain at mile 7.5 where I had my own personal cheer station!!




By this time...it was HOT.  We had never traind in the heat.  This is MN afterall!!  We trained in cold, and snow and rain, and sleet and hail...but never heat.  I was doing my best to stay hydrated, and thank goodness for all of the wonderful water stops.  Some even had sprinklers going!!  By mile 8.5 I was really hurting, and seriously considered stopping at a medical tent.  But I knew that I would be very mad at myself for quitting.  So I just repeated: Right, in, left, out. (Focusing on walking and breathing at the same time).  I am not sure where the next TNT water stop was, somewhere between miles 9 and 10.  Some of my injured team mates had the BEST water stop in the entire course.  They had water, bananas, salt- and many other awesome things.  They were right where I needed it...a huge thank you to Michelle and Paul!!!!  The turn around was at mile 9.5.  After I crossed that point, I just kept teling myself I was just walking back to my car!  It was Right, in, left, out- again for another mile or so- hit the TNT water stop again for some water, salt and a banana.  Knowing that I had slowed down greatly due to the spasms...I ran a bit.  From mile 10 to mile 11 I ran and walked, more running than walking.  I knew that at mile 11.5 my awesome family and Jeff would be there to cheer me on and give me that boost to make it to the end.  They fuled me mentally and I knew that they would be there at the finish line.  And I only had about a mile and a half left...I totally had this!!


At mile 12 I met up with my coaches and they walked me to mile 13... cheering and pepping, and motivating me the entire mile.  I was exhausted...and was ready to be done.  I knew the finish line was close because I could hear people cheering and screaming!  I saw the state flags and knew this was the home stretch!  I fought tears that last mile, I was so pround of myself, and I couldn't wait to see my Mom at the finish line.  A quick hug from coach Kristine at mile 13...and off I went to cross the finish line!!  I had done it!!  I got my medal, my snacks...and my family was there to see it.  I was so overwhelmed I just sat on the curb and cried.

Then I saw my boyfriend taking pictures of me so- I had to smile.  I got up and went over to them...and the tears started all over again...but they were happy tears.  Tears of pride.  I had accomplished something I never thought I would.  I am an endurance athlete.  Wow..that sounds amazing to say!!

Official time:

Thank you to everyone who put up with me during training, who donated to make sure I got to do this- and thank you to my coaches, and teammates for an AMAZING season and experience!!

Next up...Minneapolis Duathlon August 28th!

2 comments:

Kittee said...

High Five for completing your first Half Marathon.. You have every right to cry happy proud tears...

What a Great Day!!!

Krysty Thelen said...

Thanks! It was pretty amazing. Can't wait for the next one!!

Like this blog on Facebook!

Followers

Training Widget

Powered by Blogger.

Total Pageviews